Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Today Good

Today was a moderately good day.

I had a healthy degree of detachment today from my job. Why is it that it's so much easier to work when you don't care quite as much??? As my uncle likes to say - worry doesn't do you any good, but concern will allow you to do what you need to do. Concern to get the job done, but not worrying about doing it perfectly actually made my work come out more perfect. Go figure. Definitely made for a day that was neither really good nor really bad, just...moderately good. And good stuff.

After my...moderately good day at work, I came home and was mad excited. My tendonitis is going awayyyyy (laaaaaa), and I can ruuuuuunnnn (laaaaaaaa). So I get home, tell the cats hello (my kids?) and rush out the door to get out there on the running trail.

To back up, last night I bought an iPod shuffle. I have waited four months to buy that sucker. Four months. Now that's what I call consumer restraint. Yesterday I was looking on the Apple website and discovered that they now have a red one. So I went to the Apple store right after work, dropped the cash and walked out one happy American consumer.

Oh, and the iPod touch and iPhone - wow. Apple outdid itself. So...tempting. Someone once accused me of being an in-the-closet tech junkie...


As you can guess, I used my new gadget during my run. And it couldn't be more perfect for exercising. It's small, very light and clips on to anything. No need for a case, armband, nothing. Wonderful.

Today I remembered how awesome awesome it is to run with music. Like a soundtrack to your epic workout.

My music told a story something like this:

You're in a movie...running in step with some high-energy music, running for some big goal. Let's say winning the Boston marathon. Of course, you'll start out the underdog, but you'll keep going. Steady, like the tortoise. Unconsciously bobbing their heads to the music, the audience is mentally running with you and rooting for you. Then, there's a big windstorm...or something. And all the top athletes have worn themselves out, and your steadiness has allowed you to
finish....in first place!!!! AAAAAA!!!! Of course, everyone knew you could do it, and was there to meet you at the finish line, cheering you on. The ribbon breaks dramatically across your chest as the camera speed slows and zooms on you, focusing on the tears of joy streaming down your exhausted face.

Then...you make all the major headlines, you are thrown millions of dollars in sporting goods contracts, you adopt some cause for underdogs who cant run good and want to win the Boston Marathon, and you retire at the age of 30 in Hawaii. And live happily ever after. Or...isn't that how it happens in the movies???

All this...while gasping in the Humid Houston air after only 10 minutes of running. Ah, the power of music.

After my run, and back to my apartment, I cooked an extremely delicious dinner. Pasta-topped mushrooms. Orange and yellow pepper with blue cheese melted on top of a portabello mushroom. Wow and wow. I've gone off dairy for the time being to test it out, but I just can't give up my blue cheese. It's just...too wonderful. And with this mix of veg and mushrooms, it was at its best.

Of course, dessert is always in order after a dinner like that. I decided to make chocolate mousse. I pulled out the box, anticipating a delicious treat. When....blast! I need a blender.
I always forget when I buy it that a blender is needed to make it. The directions read something like this: 1. pour mixture with one cup of (soy) milk into large mixing bowl. 2. blend with blender at lowest speed for 30 seconds. Ok, this I can do. Just mix it up. But 3 always throws me for a loop - blend at highest speed for 3-5 minutes.

Well, I thought, I've got a whisk and my bare hands. If it need something other than that, than by golly its just not worth eating. Five minutes, one very sore arm and one very big mess later, I put a nicely textured mousse in the fridge. Folks, don't ever let lack of hardware deter you.

So now here I am: tired, and happy. hmmmm. I suppose with some music and cat time this evening, today could be a really good day. That, and some chilled chocolate mousse...

No comments: