Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Thieves

When I left at 6 am this morning, both the gate that leads to my apartment and the backyard gate were open. I closed them both, and was kind of creeped out, but didn't think much of it after that.

Later in the day I receive an email from my landlord:

"Roberta, the neighbor says that your bikes are gone. Did you take them, or should we assume the worst...."

Assume the worst, dear landlord.

Both of my bikes. Gone. Not $50 walmart jobs. Real bikes. The mountain bike - my baby, Specialized Stumpjumper. The other - vintage Team Miyata. Top of the line in its day, and one helluva ride.

....

And to think that I worked hard for those bikes, and those goons just walked right into the garage and stole them in a matter of seconds.

....

Not to mention triggering the thoughts running wild in my head right now.

....

I called the police over two hours ago with an officer yet to arrive. How protected and safe I feel.

My mom says she's just glad I'm ok. Sure I'm physically ok, but what an invasion of space that is. Complete strangers just walked right into the yard, through the back gate, and through the garage door. All while I was sleeping and vulnerable.

Makes me afraid to even take out the garbage at night.

Since I have lived here, four crimes committed within 100 yards of me - three vehicle break-ins (all the neighbors' cars), and now this. All within a year. Time to get out of this place.

And I will, believe me I will.

4 comments:

Bee said...

Berta, I feel horrible for you! Especially since one of those bikes is irreplaceable!

::sigh:: Yup, mace up!

Berta said...

Thanks, Bee. It really sucks, for so many reasons. Blah...

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're ok, but I'm sorry to hear about your bikes. That is such a creepy feeling to know that someone has invaded your space like that! We had 2 break-ins occur in our neighborhood recently. We keep hoping that Molly and my erratic schedule will keep the theives at bay from our abode. So is life in the big city, I suppose. Country life sounds good right about now, huh? :)

Berta said...

I'm glad I'm ok, too.

And yes, country life sounds fabulous...