Monday, October 15, 2007

Bad Day Tough

I'm finally growing up and developing a thicker skin. Used to be I was shaken by anything that whispered of disappointment, anger, etc.

I'll be honest about today - it was just a terrible day. There's no deluding myself. I received an unpleasant surprise in my email, and learned that I will endure the week unsupported. Without due notice. What's worse, but there are loose ends that only I can deal with, and I'm not even quite sure how to deal with them.

In a nutshell, I spent a good part of my day madly making phone calls to figure out what the heck was going on in regards to all these loose ends. Once I finally (sort of) figured it out, I made more phone calls to get it resolved.

As seems to be my luck, I called the wrong person and said the wrong thing. Or, rather, I called the right person and caught him in the wrong mood. He was upset that I was the bearer of unpleasant news, and proceeded to kill the messenger.

I put up with it for a few minutes, feeling like a fly caught in a web. When I finally realized the guy wasn't going to cool down, I got off the phone as quickly and politely as possible.

Thing is, I couldn't fight back. Since I wasn't too familiar with the project, it was a smile and nod exercise. A painful one. One where your smile really wants to be a scowl, and your nod the finger.

When I got off the phone, I admit I was....upset. Ok, I cried a little, too. I felt like Little Bear, crying after his widdle feelings got hurt.

An epiphany shot my head up, and I realized - hey! This guy has a problem. He totally went off on a power trip and took advantage of the situation.

HA!

And you know what? For the first time, I chalked it up to a bad mood and went about my day.

My day went by, I got some work cranked out (though the process could be likened to a meat grinder), then it was a two hour commmute back home in the pouring rain and lightning. But whatever. Sometimes it's a strangely nice feeling to have a bad day. Maybe it just makes life feel more real.

Or maybe it's just because I took my power back from that (expletive) and didn't let him (worsen) the rest of my day.

Regardless, it's an equally nice feeling that it's over.

2 comments:

Bee said...

Oh to have such a possitive attitude for a crappy day!

I learned something from you today, thanks! :o)

Berta said...

heh. just read today's post. and I thought monday was bad.