Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Horse/Mind Harmony

This weekend I went out to the barn, and as usual, it was well worth the trip out there. Every time I go, I realize I forgot how good it is for me. Definitely need to go more often.

The ride went pretty well from the start. I always find that if you have harmony in mind from the very beginning, it tends to go quite well. The very beginning - leading him out and ensuring he is listening, on to grooming while he stands quietly, and then tacking up patiently and firmly. Cinch the girth up smoothly, get the bridle on in clean sweep (albeit this is impossible with some horses at first), then lead him out into the morning.


If you approach it this way, you've already got a good rapport going once you get into the arena. Many horses have a habit of trying to walk away while mounting (including dear ol' Samson), but we already had an understanding. Then once I am in the saddle, we started walking and focusing on rhythm.

Sing a song in your head, and work your way around the arena with him - steady, quiet and listening. Adjust just a little, and his stride will match your song. Before you know it you're not even trying, and you and the horse are easily one.

Then on to more challenging exercises, but the work flows for both horse and rider. W
ith gradually smaller efforts you begin to make more perfect circles, release and bend, and engage the hind end.

While you are in this meditative state, your problems are solved one chip at a time in your subconscious. Each time you rise to his trot, your mind will ratchet to a fuller understanding of how to deal with a difficult situation. Cantering the center line will reassure that your feet are falling onto the right path in life. As you trot energetically and bend around a circle, you'll remember that life is cyclical. And as your ride comes to a close, the idea that life is pretty good slips into your consciousness.

At the end, I gave Samson a long rein, dropped my stirrups and let my legs hang. As horse and rider we cooled down - his stride was loose and easy, and my hands rested on his withers. The song of the birds singing, the morning light and the dew on the grass were all enjoyed through profound mental clarity as we walked around the arena.

The rest of the morning, I spent a great deal of time with Samson - rubbing him down, hosing him off and letting him graze as he dried in the sun. It was the least I could do after what he had given me. Then back to his pasture with an appreciative pat, and on with our lives we go.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooooooh, sounds like fun! Makes me miss my old riding days! Well...taking dressage lessons has been on my prayer list for a long time now. So, if it's meant to be, it'll happen. In the mean time, I'll enjoy it vicariously through you if you don't mind. :D

ps...you had left a commment on one of my posts from last week (the one about gifts) and you mentioned the best gift you had received that year and that I knew what it was. Forgive my density, by enlighten me??? I wasn't clear on that one (I'm sure once you tell me, I'll bop my head in a 'Gee-I-coulda-had-a-V-8" fashion.....ha ha!).

Bee said...

I envy the fact that you find so much peace in riding.
I think we're lucky when we find that one thing that makes us take a deep breath and enjoy our lives.

Berta said...

Aunt Katie -I still encourage you to go for the dressage lessons! They are just wonderful - talk about harmony with your horse.

And you don't remember that gift you gave RJ and us?? All the little presents in one big box. That was the most fun christmas present ever!

Bee - Riding is indeed something that makes me stop and smell the roses (horses?). I hope you have something that makes you feel that way.

Anonymous said...

Let me tell ya......I have soooo many things I want to do. My impatience problem tries to get in the way and tell me I have to do them all now. With a husband, kiddo, home to run, church, this blog and friends..... I do good grabbing a few hours of scrapbooking every now and then (and I still don't feel like I get as much time on that as I'd like). I continue to 'simmer' on the dressage thing in the hopes that God will allow it one day. For now, I try to enjoy the opps I have had to be around horses (and I really have had many) and have fun reading about your horse adventures (vicarious riding! haha). Thanks for letting me hop on with you every now and then!

Yes....I remember that Christmas now. Did I really give you guys the big box/little box thing? Wow! My memory stinks (too many lost brain cells from too many wild nights, I guess....ha ha). I'm glad your memory works better than mine. Thanks for sharing that with me. Makes me feel good that you remember something like that!