Thursday, August 9, 2007

Central Market

Oh man. I just had the most wonderful experience. Something that only happens once every couple of months (because it's so flipping expensive).

I just went to HEB Central Market. For all of you non-Texans, Central Market is the greatest thing since sliced whole wheat bread. Anything and everything you could possibly think of is there, and the best of the best: exotic and domestic produce, messes of seafood, wines galore, fresh-cut flowers to satisfy the female heart's content, delicious cheeses, and much much more.

When you first walk in, you are greeted with a (strategic) maze of fresh produce. This is where half of my basket is filled, and most of my temptations. The colors are overwhelming, and the decision of what new fruits and vegetables to try today is a tough one. Shall it be purple wax beans? Gooseberries?

Then a me
ander past the awesome meat market (after picking up some ground bison), and there you are - a sommelier's dream. I'm not exactly "classy" enough (read: I don't have enough money) to get too much into wine, but I do love a good glass now and again. Sometimes they have free samples! Then on to the bulk foods, dairy (with quite a yogurt selection - I would know, I'm a yogurt sommelier!), bakery, and frozen foods.

Of course, the next part is best - the cheeeeeese! Ohhhh...the cheese. I can never choose, and resent the decision. Of course, since I am (still) hopelessly addicted to blue cheese, I've got a pick up a healthy chunk of that. Then....?? I may as well close my eyes, spin around, and see where my pointer ends up. Usually a nice goat cheese (the non-goat dropping variety), sometimes something new, and sometimes just plain ol' cheddar (from the world's largest block of it, of course).

Central Market is also the only grocery store where you are allowed to go on an empty stomach. They've got all major courses covered in samples. Veggies, meats, salsas, cheeses, and sweets. In fact, I would advise to go right before dinner.

This evening I got home from my adventure and cooked up a nice soup with ground bison, fresh produce, and some interesting feta cheese. A little bit of everything, and oh my a whole lot of yum!

Of course, my wallet is always a bit deflated after a trip to this place, but for the next week, I'll be eatin' feta and drinkin' OJ like a queen!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before I comment on your blog.....I wanted to extend my condolences and prayers your way on the recent death of your step sister, Shea. I spoke to your mom yesterday and she told me the news. I'm really sorry about all that. I understand she was a pretty sick young girl. That's such a sad thing to hear about someone that young going so soon. But, as you probably know.....she isn't suffering anymore and that is the good thing about the finality of death. At least that is the way I try to look at.

Your post is quite yummy to read and look at(Duane is a bison lover, too.....I'm not there yet). I love those pictures. You're gonna have to tell me again how you post pics from the web to your site and where you find those pics (I'm assuming those are web pics???). There is so much to learn still on developing this blog.....so much I want to say and do on this thing. It's difficult to contain all my ideas at times (I finally had to create a "Just Write Inspiration Journal" which I keep close by so that I can capture any ideas that fly into my head when I'm not able to actually sit down and write something....like when I'm on the treadmill!!!). I am really working at holding back from spending too much time on this thing and thus becoming unbalanced in my daily routine (and then flipping out over the unbalance.....ha ha). Seriously, blogging is so much fun. I have really enjoyed doing this and can't say again how glad I am that you told me about this. It's been a true blessing for me more than you can know!

Bee said...

okay, maybe I dhould not have come on your blog at this moment cuz now I'm starving and it's 12:30 a.m. my time... Oh well, I'm off to get some cheese!
Awesome pictures!

Joseph said...

those pictures..... are not what i need to see right now. delicious... central market....

Joseph said...

oh wait, i should go immerse myself in russia! but.... thank you so much for sending me this... and its awesome... and i can tell how much you love it... and its awesome.