Thursday, August 2, 2007

Decisions, Decisions

Today was one of those "heavy" days, when you feel like you've got a lot of decisions to make. So much so that even the little ones seem like a big deal.

Standing in front of the closet with 4 minutes to go and no clue what to wear. Obsessing all day about whether to go to Canyon Lake for the weekend. Sitting frozen at my desk as the engine within my brain sputters and finally ceases trying to decide what to do. Wondering - should I go downstairs and get some ice cream? Should I go out to the barn tomorrow? Do I need to stay at home and be "responsible"? What should I do???

Eh. Yeah, sure, I was making a mountain out of a molehill. I needed some perspective, and I got it on the way home from work (thankfully).

It's pretty easy to view decisions as always being black and white. The right decision, and the wrong decision. This is what we (maybe just me?) are brought up to believe. Sort of along the lines of being a good person, or a bad person. No shades of gray.

So many decisions are just that - a decision, and a matter of personal preference. What's important to you? What sort of mood are you in? Do you want to have an adventure today??

You know, I'm feeling pretty mellow today, so I'll wear my favorite blue shirt. Why, I do think I'll just go to Canyon Lake this weekend - I feel like going to play! Ice cream! Yeahhh! Waistline be defied! I don't feel like going to the barn, so no, I should not go. What? Responsible?? This weekend?? Ha!

And there you go. Decisions made, and no worse for wear. Ahhhaha!

3 comments:

Bee said...

Sometimes I think it's easier for me to wait until the last minute before I make a decision.
You know, live by the seat of my pants and fling myself head first into danger.

Anonymous said...

She said, "This is what we (maybe just me?) are brought up to believe. Sort of along the lines of being a good person, or a bad person. No shades of gray."

No, not just you. I've been told I'm very much the black and white thinker, too. These days, I'm learning more about finding and appreciating those lovely shades of gray (that often bore the heck out of me because black and white are so much more intense and dramatic.....like me!!! ha ha) Great writing! Have a good weekend in C.L. and tell your mama 'hey' for me! BTW.....did you ever come up with a good name for the former Fiona?

Berta said...

Bee - yeah! Those seat-of-the-pants living decisions are a lot more fun!

(especially when it comes to ice cream)

Aunt Katie - I was thinking of something with a "y" at the end - Tommy, Charlie, Freddy...any other ideas of "y" names?