Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Chaos

Chaos. Whew. It can be eye-crossing at times.

Today work was awesome, I got so much done, and managed all the chaos associated with a busy day. I was borderline sprinting down the halls all the way until the last minute.

Days like today I feel great about being able to do my job. Being the most productive possible: juggling calls, emails and requests, keeping the temp busy, and getting things out the door. Reason to pat myself on the back. And I did, yes, because I worked my ass off today.




But damn. I walked out the door, got in my car, and put on some tunes. I picked something upbeat and energetic, but after a moment or two I was thinking I should have opted for silence. I even tried to return my mom's call from earlier in the day, and barely comprehended a word she said.

Multi-tasking, or, managing chaos, is pretty intense. My brain at the end of a day full of this is devoid of activity, and I struggle with the simplest analytical tasks.

This is fine, once in a while. There was a time, though, when I was determined to "work hard" and just about kill myself every day. Every time I got home from work, the only thing I wanted to do was nothing. And nothing was my life. Just work and home.

And now? Screw that crap, I want a life. I'll work hard, but with balance. No more staying late all the time, no more working myself into exhaustion. Not to say I won't do it if it is necessary, but working too much for the sake of working too much I will never do again.

Whew. Now its off to a warm bath, and some serious relaxaton. And perspective.

2 comments:

Bee said...

That picture must have been taken in my office! :o)

I agree life is to short to be a work-a-holic or any other type of holic unless it's a fun-a-holic I guess...?

Berta said...

Yep, I am a re-born fun-a-holic.