Sunday, June 3, 2007

Teaching Horsing


I ride horses. That's my thing, one of my true passions in life. And to pass on my knowledge to others has been incredibly rewarding.

This started out as some fix-it lessons here and there for people who needed help with their horses. Then a summer spent in Wisconsin teaching, and I had the experience necessary to do it outside of the more relaxed environments.

Now I've got a nice deal out north of town on Sundays in addition to my regular job. Some extra income and enjoyable to boot (why can't all jobs be like this??): my students are all interested in working hard to achieve their riding goals; any time I want to ride, I've got several horses from which to choose; and the facilities couln't be in a better location - up in the piney woods north of Houston. To get any luckier than that in any one job is, well, I can't think of a better situaion for someone in my current life station.

Today's lessons went so very well. Two of my students have problems with getting their new horses to adjust their speed. We've made some progress through the weeks, but often we had to revisit the same principles of downward transitions and halting.

Today, though, was a breaking point: both students stepped into their riding abilities. And the result was beautiful - two kids riding their horses around in the arena in tune and with lovely rhythm, and able to slow their horses more easily and stop. Ah! How gratifying for all!

Today is also indicative of my own teaching confidence. I went from a bit intimidated and stumbling over my words to being able to pinpoint exactly what was going on and having the words to express it well. What a difference a bit of confidence makes.

Now that I've got confidence in my teaching skills, I feel like I can do anything. 'Cause teaching was one of those things I thought I couldn't do. Neat how one small aspect of your life can make all the difference in the rest.

So Sunday, good day...

No comments: