Sunday, June 10, 2007

Blue Cheese


Addiction rears itself in the oddest places. My current fixation, I am happy to report (as opposed to booze, drugs or cigarettes), is blue cheese. It's a crazy, almost inexplicable obsession...

As a friend of mine put it, in love with a creamy, reeking hunk of mold. Blue-green in color, injected with spores, then allowed to mold to a sinky deliciousness in the darkness of a cave. Mmmm, how stinky - the more powerful the stench the better.

Why does it appeal to me so much, and so often? It's anybody's guess, but I just can't get enough. On salads, sandwiches, crackers, and even just by itself. No amount can satiate my appetite for it, nor sour my palate to its pungent joys.

My favorite combinations: mixed greens+walnuts+raisins+the good stuff+red wine vinaigrette (the less sweet variety). honey+water wheel crackers+blue awesomeness. hamburger+yum+tomatoes. penne+mixed sauteed veggies+cream+blue.

Mmmmm.




No comments: