Friday, December 14, 2007

Forlorn Winter Day

Forlorn winter days are such a pleasant experience under the right circumstances. Though today wasn't particularly cold, old man winter still made his presence known.

Most Fridays at work are extremely busy because of our flex schedule - the staff rotates having Fridays off. Today there thankfully were not any emergency calls nor pressing items to get out the door. And so today I was left to work on some of my ongoing projects at a relaxed pace. I had the opportunity to occasionally look out the window and take in the winter weather.

All day it rained on and off (Houston's version of snow??), with layers fog and clouds hanging in the sky throughout. My mood mirrored the subdued weather - I felt my energy lower and with it my level of tension. I was left feeling somewhat forlorn, but it was oddly comforting. Maybe it was the steady stream of hot tea, or the fact that everyone's mood matched my own. But it was nice.

When I left work I drove downtown to the YMCA closest to my apartment to go for a swim. Driving past downtown was a sight - fog sinking between the sky scrapers, and black birds circling around the tops. Images of Gotham City spun in my head.

If the temperature isn't going to correspond with the time of year, then by golly it will look like winter!

I swam, then headed home, and snuggled up in bed with the cats and a good book. Happy for one forlorn day, and with it the opportunity to slow down.

2 comments:

Bee said...

It's funny that you mention Gotham City since I associate the foggy gloomines in our area to Btaman's hometown! ;o)
That picture is awesome though!

Berta said...

hehehe. yeah. Houston can definitely be foggy...gloomy...