Saturday, February 9, 2008

Slow down!

So far, the last few weeks have been crazy. School, and more school. I forgot how busy I was back when I was an undergraduate student. It never seems to stop, either. Going from classes, to study time, to exercise, to time spent with friends. Penciling in some relaxation time is the only way to get it. Ten minutes to close your eyes here, fifteen to sit outside and have a cup of tea. But then as soon as things get crazier than they already had been, those few minutes are used for more productive activities.

Those few minutes, however, are often the most important of the day. If I even spend a couple of minutes to sit and give myself a momentary perspective check, I'm so much more level-headed and productive. How often I forget this, I can't believe. And every time I go for too fast for too long, it's apparent in everything. My relationships are strained, I teeter on the edge of overworking myself, and life just gets muddy-looking.

Thankfully I've learned to recognize it and do something about it. It's so important to
put things into perspective and to remember why I am here. But every time tests come up or a string of assignments are due, it's an extra challenge to get myself to slow down and remember to enjoy the ride. If only I do, things will go so much more smoothly.

No comments: